Friday, December 31, 2010

one week.

a cold week.
a scarf and winter coat week.
a wedding week.

one whole week that i slept in a big fluffy bed and ate lots of delicious things and saw my people. and then on one of the days, the thursday actually, my best friend got married. and that is really the whole point of the cold, scarf, winter coat, wedding week. i loved it. congratulations sarah and cub! best friend weddings are the greatest kind of weddings. it went entirely too fast and a week is rarely enough but sometimes it's all that's there. im thankful for it.

my nights and days are basically back to normal... cept i leave tomorrow and they'll get all out of order again. but it's totally worth it. staying up late with tons of energy makes me feel... super-human. like a vampire or something. hah. i thought of twilight... how sick.

today i went to walmart for some last minute stuff before my flight tomorrow. i needed tooth paste; so i went to the tooth paste aisle. i've been there so many times before but this time i seriously despised it. why does there have to be so many? i was so overwhelmed! i didn't even know where to start... i was lost in a sea of tooth paste. in that moment i had a really hard time with the fact that my culture lives and moves and breathes surrounded by excess and plenty and often times too much. i mean... having a choice between which tooth paste you want is fine, nothing wrong with that. but think about it - it's someone's job to come up with a cooler more attractive toothpaste that you and i will buy. how does that help the world? seriously people TOOTH PASTE! if you're in the tooth paste business you should feel shame right now...

just kidding. thats not my point. maybe when i come home to America and her ways ill see the art in getting to chose the right most perfect tooth paste... but right now it just seems a little unnecessary.

i'm ready for the simplicity of Tanzania. and i anticipate the newness of india. six months is about to happen. its just me and my back pack again; if it doesn't fit it doesn't come. and we shall begin anew...

more to come soon.




2 comments:

Heather said...

i know exactly what you mean about the overwhelming choices. last time, the cereal aisle made me almost sit on the floor right there in the store and cry. i restrained myself, but i did have to leave...cereal-less.

Randi said...

I'm American and I'm tired of toothpaste. I actually stopped using it, just straight baking soda for this girl.

I am so proud of you Lindsey and a tiny bit jealous (in the most godly way...) I am so glad that you get to have such exciting adventures and get to help people and hug babies... so many good things.
love, Randi